Me and 17 men, in a tent




Pang was my chosen next destination for a stay, before Leh. Pang is not necessarily a village, but a stopover. In the better seasons, the people from villages around set up tents and food stalls, for the travelers’ enroute Leh. But there is more to say about the road that leads to Pang

If you have ever watched ‘Worlds most treacherous roads’, you have seen the road to Pang. It’s definitely not easy. The roads that were built mostly get destroyed due to the extreme weather and landslides. Sudden steep rises and falls, broken roads, bad roads and sometimes no roads at all. The road demands all your attention. If you have crossed this road, you would certainly pat your back to have lived another day. On the way, you rarely get to see another human. If you do, you would come across groups. And then there is silence again. Silence that is so profound, that all you can hear is the thump of your bike and yourself breathing. If you concentrate, you can hear the rhythm of your heart.
After living through a few near death experiences, I reached Pang with sore shoulders.  With the constant thought in my mind, riding all alone if I fall off the cliff hear, no one will ever know. I and my bike would just vanish into thin air. Like a page that’s torn off a book and burnt.  You will never know what was in it and where did it go.

After reaching Pang, I stopped at a small tea stall. It was named ‘Janta Restaurant’. Janta is such a common name; I must have come across at least a hundred stalls, named Janta. But, I was impressed that the spelling of restaurant was correct. I parked my bike in front of the stall, careful not to obstruct the entrance.   The lady who was running the stall saw me take off the gloves and helmet and hang them on my bike. She pulled out a plastic chair for me and then rushed in to get tea. She served the tea and said, ‘chai pee lo, garam hai’(drink the tea, its hot). I didn’t feel new to the place anymore.
After having my tea, I stretched a bit. Especially the arms and shoulders, as they were sore. Then tilted my head up and sat like that for a few minutes to stop the bleeding from my nose. I had slight nasal bleeding because of the temperature and the altitude. The blood would clot in my nose, making it difficult to breath. I cleared my nose, washed my hands and started reading the menu of the ‘ Janta Restaurant’. Maggi was the obvious answer.

And over Maggi, I and Dolma got talking. Well one thing was established by now; I and Dolma were impressed with eachother. Dolma set up this stall in wilderness and was running this business year after year.  She asked me many questions and I told her about my journey. She did not know where Hyderabad was, so I showed it on the map- the place that’s my home and the place I started from all alone. She asked about the unusual ‘TS’ on my bikes registration plate. I told her, it stands for Telangana State, which is the new 29th state of India.

The stall was run by Dolma and supported by her niece Stanzin. They live near Leh city, and come to Pang to set up stall in the ‘tourist season’, which is May to October. They make money required for a year, as there is hardly any employment in the winter seasons in Laddakh.
Dolma showed me around her stall. Janta restaurant was actually a small room, made to last for a season. The room was the kitchen and the place Dolma and Stanzin retired in the night. On the outside were a small counter and 2 tables, with a tarp on it. The other side extended into a narrow tent.  The tent had mattresses spread on both side and a narrow walk way in between. I counted the pillows and understood that, this place is for 20 people to sleep.  



I decided to stay there for the night. I unloaded the bike and Dolma was there helping me, with all of it. She carried my saddle bag inside, while I collected the rest of the stuff and walked behind her. It was only 3:30 pm and too early to sleep. So I changed and went around Pang.  Climbed a small hill and sat there watching the sun go down.

I went back to the tent. Stanzin was making a huge lot of tea to fill 2 thermos flasks.  I got to stirring the tea, so she went on to clean the flasks.  We were sharing stories and were having a good laugh, when a group of 17 men arrived.

They immediately asked for a stay and went down curling on the mattresses. This was their first day of riding, they started from the same place and at the same time that I did, but reached 2 hours later.  I heard them talking. I felt great about my ride too, but they were boastful to another level.  There was a loud rant about how they were ‘studs’, ‘heroes’, ‘warriors’ and how nobody has balls to do what they did. Then they took turns to boast about themselves.  This fervor was slowly going down, as they could not keep up the ‘stud’ act anymore.  One of them, under 3 blankets now, was loudly moaning, ‘Mummy, daddy, I want to go back home. Somebody call the helicopter’. And this guy continued that weeping, for another 3 hours.  The condition of the rest of the guys was not great as well; they were hit by AMS and were disoriented, but yet couldn’t stop boasting.

It didn’t take much time to understand, that this set of guys from Delhi, were neither well mannered nor well behaved. So I kept my communication to the minimum, trying my best to ignore their existence.

I and all the 17 men were now in that tent, sitting in our designated places. I chose one corner, near to the door, and near to the place where Dolma slept.

There was a man with them, who was acting like their leader. He must have been in his early 40’s. There was something in his manner that would disgust you immediately. Now after settling down, in the tent he starts negotiating with Dolma on the price of the stay.  The price for 1 night stay per person was Rs 250/- but he was bargaining for Rs 150/-. When Dolma did not budge, he started flirting with her. And the moment he started flirting, Dolma gave a reply which struck him like a slap in his face. She snapped, “If you don’t have money to pay, get out of here. Don’t try your non-sense on me’. I felt like clapping, but stopped.

As if that insult was not enough, he later started talking to me. This man in his early 40’s, starts his conversation like this, ‘Madam, I am 30 years old and my mom keeps begging me to get married. But I live such an adventurous life, that I don’t know when I will die. So I told her strongly, not to search for a girl for me. One day I will bring you ‘heroine’ like daughter-in-law.”  I was even more disgusted.

I started looking into my phone, but he wouldn’t stop, and kept calling for my attention saying ‘madam, madam’.  Dolma noticed that. She walked in, and then started loudly, ‘Did everyone get their blankets? I am right here and I am watching everything. Ok?”

After she left, he started boasting about his drinking capacity and how much he drank in the morning. Then I picked my moment and said, “So were you driving drunk today? And you said you were leading these kids? And you call yourself a RIDER? , You should be ashamed of yourself”.  That shut his mouth.

I then turned around to make a small partition between me and the person next to me. I put my saddle bag, helmet, knee guards and other stuff, to make a small space between the partition and the wall.  Watching this, one of the guys said – “Aur banalo madam wall of China” (go ahead, make the Great Wall of China).

For this I retorted loudly and rudly,”who said that”, and stared right into his face with anger. He couldn’t hold my stare, so he went down and covered his face.  I looked around. Almost all of them were hit by AMS, and were disoriented.  I looked at Dolma, she smiled and I smiled back, we were a TEAM.

I took my blankets, covered myself from head to toe and slept off. The next morning I was up before any of them were. Geared up, said my byes to Dolma and Stanzin, and was about to leave. Then I saw these guys limping out of the tnt. One thing was clear, none of them will be riding today and more than half of them are going back. And the 40 year old man has no shame.

Leaving them behind, I looked ahead, the sun was up and the road was clear. I took a deep breath and headed towards Leh.